Thursday, October 30, 2014
Join us for our 3rd session of Creative Kids on November 8th at 1 p.m. We will be using watercolors and experimenting with other elements (such as crayons, salt, and glue) to create beautiful works of art! Be sure to register in advance! Session 2 was completely FULL :) We hope to see you there!
Posted by Heather Lander at 9:05 AM
Saturday, October 18, 2014
Next Saturday (October 25th) we will be offering TWO programs at the Library!. Join us for Creative Kids (geared towards preschool aged children) at 1 p.m. and a special Family Pumpkin Decorating Program at 2 p.m. Both programs require a registration, but are FREE! Call the library to register!!
Posted by Heather Lander at 12:29 PM
JLAB Meeting Minutes 10/9/14
The meeting began shortly after 6 p.m.
4 members in attendance, plus Jesse and Heather
We began by discussing the JLAB group and what this group can do:
· Plan programs (for yourselves or younger children)
· Share collection development ideas (books, movies, audiobooks that we should buy)
· Help set up displays/decorate for holidays
· Volunteer opportunities
We also discussed the group having a special display area in the Teen Room which they could change every month.
· It was suggested by the group that the first display should have scary books for Halloween. Jesse suggested that the group members could add books throughout the month and to check the display and fill holes as items check out.
o Taylor suggested that the next display be books that all have the same color cover.
· For the younger group members that don’t use the Teen Room yet, Heather suggested having them create a similar display downstairs to replace one of the Banned Books displays.
The group shared ideas for upcoming programs, these ideas include:
· Make homemade playdough
o Taylor offered to find some recipes and Heather suggested that she print them at the library.
· Halloween Party
o It was suggested that we have a Halloween Party for the Tweens/Teens and a Halloween Party for the younger children.
o Kaitlyn suggested an all ages Halloween Party.
· Drawing/Art Contest
o Grace suggested that we have an art contest, similar to the Lego Person contest which we held during summer reading. The rest of the group agreed and it was suggested that we find some sort of template, such as a pumpkin or a ghost, which is simple enough for anyone to do, but customizable. Heather said that she would find one tomorrow and set the contest up at the Children’s Room desk.
o Group members suggested that they would like to be able to vote for the winners.
Heather and Jesse suggested that, since there was not much time between now and Halloween, that instead of doing an all ages Halloween party, we could do a pumpkin decorating program.
· The group decided that the next Tween/Teen Friday program (October 17th) would be pumpkin decorating.
· We will hold another pumpkin decorating program for all ages on Saturday October 25th at 2 p.m.
o Janae, Taylor, and Grace all would like to help. Kaitlyn will be out of town. It was suggested that they get to the library at 1:30 p.m. in order to help set-up.
We also discussed decorating the library for Halloween. Heather informed the group that she was planning on decorating on Saturday October 11th if anyone would like to join her.
· Kaitlyn said that she would like to come around 11 a.m.
Some group members asked about what types of small projects can they help with during other visits to the library.
· We discussed starting a folder to keep at the front desk which we could use to put projects that we need help with inside.
· Jesse told them that she needs help with the display for the new graphic novel wall.
For future meetings we suggested that:
· Each group member brings a notebook (we will supply, but it will be the members responsibility to bring it to the meetings) in order to take notes and share your ideas.
Our next meeting will be held on Thursday, November 13th at 6 p.m.
Posted by Heather Lander at 12:26 PM